Thursday, April 4, 2013

Roger Ebert Has Left Us

I am heartbroken. I want to you all to go out and read his memoirs, because it's probably the most moving and affirming book I've ever read. If Roger had just loved film, I would've loved him, but he went deeper than that. The taking of his voice released him to write even more freely and nakedly, and Life Itself is the crowning achievement of that evolution.

He and Gene...they taught me how to see past entertainment, both in how film (and storytelling in my mind) didn't need to be monopolized by it, and in how entertainment could transcend it's limitations and tell us about ourselves.

I stood next to him in an elevator once, and I longed to try to put into words what I just said...but I was scared. Then the moment passed. It's one of the greatest regrets of my life.

A GIANT has left us. My heart goes out to Chaz....

And, yes...Per my friend Ryan Blanz...This is exactly what's going on in heaven right now. And I bet Roger is overjoyed.


No comments:

Post a Comment