Monday, July 19, 2010

That's about right

Just finished reading Superman #701, "Grounded: Part one."

I'm still not overly convinced that this storyline is worth a full 12 issues, as is would seem every issue will be a repeat of this one, in one form or another. It just seems like a rather low-key concept to hang a full year of stories on.

However, when I read this:

"To be a hero--and I'm not saying I am one. I'm just saying--is to live you life in a small cell who's bars are the principles and rules that define what you will and won't accept.

Injustice.

Cruelty.

Murder.

On the night they threw Henry Thoreau in jail for civil disobedience, a friend came to see him, saying 'Henry what're you doing in here?'

Thoreau said, "No, the question is what are you doing out there?"

If I am lucky enough, privileged enough to live in that cell, to serve in that box with the word hero written on it--Then I say to you, from somewhere deep inside that box--what are you doing out there?"


When I read that, I know I've read something by a writer that gets Superman.

Mr. J. Michael Straczynski, you've earned at least a couple more issues from this reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment