Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Random Wednesday thoughts...

Yeah, usually it's New Comic Wednesday, but that's postponed due to the Labor Day thingamajig.

Let's start with some brilliance from The Comics Curmudgeon:



"Or — and it’s just a suggestion — you could tell Diana! I mean, I don’t want to tell you how to do your job as an irritatingly cryptic jungle seer, but … maybe tell Diana?"

I love that site.

Spent some time this morning putting together a Rush mix CD for a friend. I saved the mix as a playlist, and was struck once again by the brilliance of Neil Peart's lyrics.

"Mission"
Hold your fire
Keep it burning bright
Hold the flame 'til the dream ignites
A spirit with a vision is a dream
With a mission

I hear their passionate music
Read the words that touch my heart
I gaze at their feverish pictures
The secrets that set them apart

When I feel the powerful visions
Their fire has made alive
I wish I had that instinct
I wish I had that drive


Or another favorite:

"Marathon"
From first to last
The peak is never passed
Something always fires the light that gets in your eyes
One moment's high, and glory rolls on by
Like a streak of lightning
That flashes and fades in the summer sky

Your meters may overload
You can rest at the side of the road
You can miss a stride
But nobody gets a free ride

More than high performance
More than just a spark
More than just the bottom line
Or a lucky shot in the dark
In the long run...


Love that stuff. The music's awesome, too. Sometimes, I feel like the get labeled unfairly as part of the whole "sci-fi/sword and sorcery progressive band" thing, I mean, sure the concept side of 2112 is very sci-fi, but Peart also has a tremendous ability to speak right from his heart about so many topics. Maybe I'm crazy, but this is a band that can raise the hair on the back of my neck, or bring me to tears. Few others do that, Springsteen, King's X....Bands I really, really admire. So, I hate that many people hear the strange wordplay of Tom Sawyer, and write off the band completely. There's more there.

Of course it's also "Beatles Wednesday," and man, I'm all sorts of amazed. Cbyrd and I have always intended to get the entire catalog, but just sort of ran out of steam. The new remastered box set offered a real opportunity to get it in one fell swoop. When you break the cost down to 14 CDs, it's really quite reasonably priced. Well, getting the thing has become a bit of a crusade.

Amazon sold out before the release date, all gone in pre-orders. I planned to swing by the Best Buy downtown here and get it over lunch, but they "sold out" (meaning all copies claimed in pre-order) before they opened. I THINK I got one at the Best Buy a little north of downtown. Ordered on-line for in-store pick up. Yet, they haven't confirmed my order yet.

Gah!

Then the video game. People are rabid for it, or maybe I just know a lot of Beatles fans. CByrd even bought it herself. Let me say that again...MY WIFE BOUGHT A VIDEO GAME, not for me, but because she wants to play it. I think something has happened to the space-time fabric of the universe...Is it 1964? What is going on?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment