Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sometimes you get tired...

And decide to take a day off the blog.

Then you turn around and the day has become a week. What the hell happened?

I really couldn't tell you, in all honesty. I just found myself without much burning desire to share anything. There was things to share...New comic Wednesday came and went...

Here's what I got without comment:

Jonah Hex #49

Written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray
Art and cover by Cristiano Cucina

Captain America: Reborn #4

COVER BY: Joe Kubert
WRITER: Ed Brubaker
PENCILS: Butch Guice & Bryan Hitch

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #4

COVER BY: DAVID LAFUENTE
WRITER: Brian Michael Bendis
PENCILS: DAVID LAFUENTE
INKS: David Lafuente Garcia
COLORED BY: Justin Ponsor
LETTERED BY: VC - Cory Petit

Light week. really light, and more Marvel than DC, for once.

Got to work on some music over the weekend, and for the first time in a long while, I got invigorated by it. I finished a track and was very happy with how it all turned out. It's part of a new project, a new concept and way of going about this music thing. I'm trying to not worry about how people will take it, and just write stuff I like.

That's a simple enough idea, y'know, but I have friends who are truly talented musicians. People who are creative and can pretty much see right through my bullshit and, frankly, cut me to the quick with criticism. I am a limited musician. I'm not going to be doing long free-form jazz work. It's not in me. I'm not a technical monster n the guitar, I'm not going to be doing insanely fast, complicated runs up and down the neck.

I like rhythm. I like to hear the drums and bass and guitar play off each other. To hear the instruments lock in time and weave together. The unfortunate thing is, without a live drummer, that's hard to do. It's also hard to do without everyone playing at once...

Hard to do when you're just one guy. LOL!

So, in a way, I'm trying to remove myself from the songs I'm playing with now. There's a concept in play, and it's really about me embracing the fact that, at the core, this is all a joke. That's not to say that I don't try to do as good a job as I can, or that I feel I can just suck. It means...I'm a nearing-middle-age-guy with a limited ability to record in a multi-track enviroment, and I'm using that to be creative in my own way. I'm not going to take music by storm, or even be heard by anyone outside of my friends.

(Although, that's the worst group to hand a CD, that you know is not great, to.)

I wrote a blog a while back in which my opinion was that this digital revolution really wasn't making music, or any art form "better." That, in fact, having all these people like me who were releasing material just because they could, and not because they deserved to, was watering the whole art form down. So, here I sit, with a pretty strong opinion that I'm not doing anything but being selfish and stroking my ego.

Of course, as I've also said...being egotistical is pretty close to the heart of being an artist.

God, I don't know. This whole music thing, it tears me up every time I work on it, if for no other reason but that I cannot seem to record what's in my head. I certainly can't sing what's in my head, and it...drives...me...nuts!

**sigh**

Hey! positive news...The entire Them Crooked Vultures CD can be heard over at YouTube:

Them Crooked Vultures

Just put it on auto-play, and you're off. So awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment