Sunday, February 27, 2011

Reading and Writing 2.27.2011

Well, I finally got a chance to sit down and read the last two weeks worth of my pull list....So, from Feb. 16th, 2011 and Feb 23rd, 2011....

2.16.2011

Batman #707
Another solid Batman tale from Tony Daniel. The guy's not the greatest writer in the world, but he certainly know how to keep a story moving. Frankly, he also surprised me. I was certain that Peacock would be a Batman: Incorporated agent by the end of this tale.

Which brings me to another thought. If you weren't reading Batman: Inc. (which has streeted two issues in...4 months?) or The Dark Knight (which published issue #1 to great fanfare, and then fell off the face of the Earth), would you even know Bruce Wayne was alive again? Even "Batman: Incorporated," as a concept, what, exactly, is the deal. It's a plot element that I, personally, find dumb, but I'm willing to have my mind changed. The fact that it, and Bruce's return, seem to have almost no effect on Dick, Tim and Damien (other than a family gathering to watch The Mark of Zorro, apparently) is really annoying.

This is admittedly all sideline thoughts to what is a pretty decent issue. The Asian mysticism was handled pretty well, and Sensei made a fine villain. I'm also a fan of Tony Daniel's art, so that helps.

Booster Gold #41
Being a relative newcomer to the world of Booster Gold, and having dropped this series for a while between the ext of Geoff Johns and the entry of Giffen and DeMatteis, I have to admit the final splash page meant absolutely bubkis to me.

That said, this was another solid story, with the creative team tackling the fact that Booster, as a hero, exists solely because he stole all of his equipment in the far future. No ifs, ands, or buts, Booster Gold is a thief, and I'm glad that's being addressed. This series is ripe for it, too, with the whole point to move Booster toward becoming a better human being.

The continuing General Glory thread, with Booster fighting out-of-time Nazis also tickles me. It's old-school comic books in the absolute best sense. Really enjoy this book.

Brightest Day #20
Six issues to go.

Tiny plot development that SEEMS to move the story forward, but doesn't really, securing last issues that will try to wrap everything up all at once and just end up being confusing? Check.

Ignoring plot thread for weeks on end, until I can barely remember what's going on in them? Check.

Six issues to go.


Green Lantern #62
Oh, great. Here we go with another crossover, or is it still part of Brightest Day?

Or, wait, is War of the Green Lanterns part of Flashpoint? Why are the events in Brightest Day seemingly completely disconnected from what's happening in this book? The book that supposedly spawned said crossover? Why doesn't this book seem to resolve anything?

I mean, why does this suspiciously feel like, "well, Brightest Day wasn't the kicker we expected, what else you got, Geoff?"

"War of the Green Lanterns?"

"Go with that."

Justice League of America #54
I find it a bit of a cruel irony that as Dwayne McDuffie, may he rest in peace, passed on, the title that he was the last good writer on, and was fired from for admitting that editorial made the job more difficult than it needed to be, is going with him.

What the hell happened in this issue? Sure, sure it's a variation on the old war-horse, the recruitment issue. There was a moment, on page 17, when they went to pick up the Shadow Theif, where the whole house of cards fell for me. I couldn't even follow the book all of a sudden. That may be my fault, maybe my brain just shut down to avoid further pain...

I need to drop this book. Bagley's gone, there's no reason to hang on.

The Spirit #11
There's always a danger in bringing honest-to-God, real-word problems into a fantasy world. It's hard to seriously talk about, say Nuclear poliferation, in a world with a Superman. The Spirit, however, doesn't have this problem. From the strips inception with Will Eisner, it's always been more about people, and the city, than simple cheap thrills. Eisner loved the people of New York, and that's who he told stories about.

So, this new Spirit adventure, tied to the underworld of human trafficing, feel right. The writing and art have been uniformly solid since issue one, and this title, sales notwithstanding, is one of DC's jewels again.

2.23.2011

Detective Comics #847
A really, really solid Commissioner Gordon-centered issue. I don't know if any of these issues with James Gordon, Jr. were established before this story, or if they're a retcon. Doesn't matter, what a great idea, and super well executed, too. From the great script by Scott Snyder to the Mazuchelli-style artwork by Francesco Francavilla, this all feels well done and well packaged. This is the right talent for this story. I cannot wait to see where this goes.

Well done, guys.

It's also one of the best Batman covers in a good, long while. Excellent stuff all around.

Captain America #615
Well, that was....

Pretty much what I expected to happen. We can't sully a character like Captain America, even a replacement Captain America, but the character also demands that he take responsibility for his own actions. I've said it time and time again, I really do like how Brubaker and Guice are telling this tale, but, much like what's going on with the Batman titles, once the real deal is back on the scene, you kinda get antsy for the inevitable to just happen. I mean, does anybody think Steve Rogers won't be Captain America again? Does anybody thing Bruce Wayne won't be the sole Batman again? The answer is no.

I also am no fan of Sin as the new Red Skull. Maybe that's just me.

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #154
The way Bendis used to be on Powers, where every issue felt handed down from on high, with his talent perfectly matched to the material? That's Ultimate Spider-Man, now. I mean, I didn't feel like anything overly relavatory happened, and the conversation with Mary Jane in the last pages seemed a bit silly coming out of the mouth of a kid who's seen the entirety of Manhattan island flooded. That said, it's good stuff, and I love the developing relationship between Peter Parker and Tony Stark.

This is just a great book, and it's been a great book for so long. I suspect it'll continue to be a great book until Bendis leaves it.

Which almost, but doesn't quite, make up for the $3.99 price tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment