Thursday, January 19, 2012

This is Suddenly a Much Better Day

Springsteen's new album, Wrecking Ball, due on March 6th.

Already pre-ordered? Oh, hells yes. I love the cover, much more than the Working on a Dream artwork. (Did I say I want to buy a Telecaster? I REALLY want to buy a Telecaster...) Of course, that was a hopeful record, and I have more than a sneaking suspicion this album is going to trend darker.

The first single, "We Take Care of Our Own" has dropped, too. (video below) Lyrically, anyway, I think it backs the "darker album" impression. It seems to follow the Springsteen "tension between the tone of the lyrics, and the tone of the music" formula. Classic E-Street sound, with one exception...

No Clarence.

No Big Man.

No sax at all, to my ears, on first listen, which seems appropriate. I can't lie and say things won't be different without him there on the albums and in the concerts. It's tough, but neither am I feeling that I want Clarence's passing to be the end of the E-Street Nation. That would be a crime, because this band is still one of the best on the planet.

Different isn't bad. It's just different. Rest In Peace, Big Man...I have a feeling that there's going to be a lot of tributes to you during the upcoming tour.



Update:

Here's our Track list:


1. We Take Care of Our Own
2. Easy Money
3. Shackled and Drawn
4. Jack of All Trades
5. Death to My Hometown
6. This Depression
7. Wrecking Ball
8. You’ve Got It
9. Rocky Ground
10. Land of Hope and Dreams
11. We Are Alive

A special edition of Wrecking Ball will also be available including exclusive artwork and photography and two bonus tracks:
12. Swallowed Up
13. American Land

Some thoughts: I'm a little surprised to see (I'm guessing) studio versions of "Land of Hope and Dreams" and "Wrecking Ball," previously released pretty widely with live versions.Yet another version of "American Land?" I would guess it's the full E-Street band version that closed all the shows for the last couple of tours. It's cool, but...hey, I've already got that version on the "Live in Hyde Park" Blu-ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment