Monday, May 21, 2012

So What Did I Learn on Saturday?

First off, I love playing with other people.

Second, Don't stand behind your amp. You can't hear anything. Especially when your combo amp speakers are at about ankle-level.

Otherwise, I feel good. I have to admit, after playing to a drum machine and click track for, literally, years, it was nice to find out that I can lock in with a live drummer. It was GREAT to have ideas getting bounced around, because I enjoy working with other people.

I want to revisit the tunes we worked on Saturday, with some vocal material blended in, and some time to figure out proper solo sections. Everything I played on those recordings was well and truly right out of my ass. Listening back to them, I think I'd also like to work some more dynamics into what I have.

I also need to think about my songwriting more. Leave some more room. With my influences being more and more classic rock lately, I think "riff-riff-riff" is a bit much. Gotta think like Townshend, more big open chords with space for vocals. I guess that goes along with the "dynamics" thing.

It's a work in progress, as it should be.

In other news, very much looking forward to the release of Apocalyptic Love by Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators, tomorrow. I was a fan of Slash's solo album, but it was the live show that really struck me. Myles Kennedy is a hell of a vocalist, and I've liked pretty much everything I've heard off this albums so far. It was streamiing over at rollingstone.com last week, and I took a couple of listens. Good stuff, and Myles sounds great.

I plan to download it tomorrow morning. 


No comments:

Post a Comment