Wednesday, January 27, 2010

New Comics 1.27.2010

Whoo boy!

Man, I got off easy the last couple of weeks, because the financial hammer dropped today...11 titles of interest, totaling almost $40 bucks.

**SIGH**

I really need to assess if these are all worth getting. I really can't see spending that much in one week. I'll mark in red the titles on the chopping block.

Atom & Hawkman #46

Written by Geoff Johns
Art and cover by Ryan Sook

A Blackest Night tie-in. Basically, with this event being, essentially, a big zombie story, the dead rise, and so forth...the powers that be thought it would be fun to have some canceled series rise from the dead, too. The Draw here is that it's written by Geoff Johns, the architect of this whole deal...and one of my favorite writers. I, however, seriously question if I need this issue...

Batman and Robin #7

Written by Grant Morrison
Art by Cameron Stewart
Cover by Frank Quitely
Variant cover by Cameron Stewart

This series is way to good to pass up. It's just plain fun. I'm also quite taken with Cameron's art, and look forward to really digging into it with this arc.

Detective Comics #861

Written by Greg Rucka
Art by Jock
co-feature Art by Cully Hamner
Cover by JH Williams III

Yay! Batman's back in Detective, even as a guest star...but I've been waiting for Batwoman to encounter the Dick Grayson Batman for a while now...the series is just great, any way you slice it.

Gotham City Sirens #8

Written by Paul Dini
Art and Cover by Guillem March

OK, I cry uncle...This series has been uninspired from the get-go. Paul, I gave you eight months to pull me in, and you couldn't do it. Bye-bye, Sirens...

Green Lantern #50

Written by Geoff Johns
Art and cover by Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy
Variant cover by Jim Lee
Sketch Variant cover by Doug Mahnke

Blackest Night continues to roll along. This series has been consistently good, and I cannot fault Geoff Johns, but...I am a little weary. I am ready for things to start wrapping up.

Justice League of America #41

Written by James Robinson
Art and covers by Mark Bagley and Rob Hunter

Ahh, Mark Bagley...I could never, will never, let you go. I just hope things start to pick up in this series.

Justice League: Cry For Justice #6 (of 7)

Written by James Robinson
Art and Cover by Mauro Cascioli

More like "cry for it to end." This would be a definite drop if we weren't so close to the end....

Superman: Secret Origin #4 (of 6)

Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Gary Frank and Jon Sibal
Covers by Gary Frank

This series has turned out really well, and I have to admit, I have a warm nostalgic feeling for the art. Mainly because Gary Frank just flat out draws Superman as Chris Reeve. Johns' writing has hit a nice sweet spot, too.

Captain America: Reborn #6 (of 6)

Written by ED BRUBAKER
Penciled by BRYAN HITCH
Cover by BRYAN HITCH

Hey, Marvel! You managed to reveal the end of this series in about a dozen places, just because you couldn't keek your schedules straight. Way to go. Top it off...Cap isn't REALLY back...

Kick-Ass #8

Story by Mark Millar
Art by John Romita Jr., Tom Palmer

Yay! For Mark Millar! He finally finished the series, and the movie comes out in like TWO MONTHS!! What synergy!! I keep reading this book, and I always finish thinking "that was ok," but I never really care about what's happening. Go figure.

Ultimate Comics Enemy #1

Story by Brian Michael Bendis
Art by Rafa Sandoval

I've been so burned by the Ultimate line, but I really like Bendis' writing...I'm also not excited that this is the first of three mini-series. I'm kinda tired of this stuff taking years to get anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment