Wednesday, February 3, 2010

New week....Mea culpa. Comics/ Rock Hall

So, I am not keeping up my schedule on this blog, at all. I always intend to write something every day, or post something, or generally use this space to communicate something on a daily basis. Sometimes I have a lot to say, sometimes just a picture or something from another blog to share.

Well...I haven't posted since last Wednesday.

First off, CByrd and I visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland 2 weekends ago. Mainly to see their From Asbury Park to the Promised Land: The Life and Music of Bruce Springsteen exhibit. I loved it, naturally. (How could I not?)

It was rather more emotional to stand in those rooms, looking at the scraps of paper with lyrics scrawled over them, than I expected. When I walked up to one case and saw these words:

I stood stone-like at midnight suspended in my masquerade
I combed my hair till it was just right and commanded the night brigade
I was open to pain and crossed by the rain and I walked on a crooked crutch
I strolled all alone through a fallout zone and came out with my soul untouched

I have to admit....I felt myself getting choked up. It's my favorite Springsteen song, and the words he wrote there...they still touch me. (My eyes are a little wet as I write this) They still speak to me now as much as I did when I first really listened to what he was saying there...

...And I really can't fathom that a 20-year-old kid wrote that.

I mean, in a way, only a kid that young could write it, but there's also an understanding of what it meant to be who he was in that moment that usually only comes when you look back from a distance. Only one who was truly touched by something beyond himself could find that clarity. That's my opinion on the matter.

Caryn Rose also visited the Hall for this exhibit, and frankly, she says it better than I could:

From Springsteen to Strummer: A Tour of the Museum from a First Time Visitor

So, yeah...so glad we made the time to go see that, and it's been extended to the end of 2010, so if you love Springsteen, it's really a can't-miss.

I mean, THE guitar is there, and THE jacket...You know the one;



Moving on...It's also new comic day, and thankfully, after last week being so heavy, we only have two titles for today. So, lets see what's in store...

Jonah Hex #52

Written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray
Art and cover by Jordi Bernet

I know I say this every, single time a new issue of this series come out, but it really is the most consistently solid series on the market these days. The return of Jordi Bernet always brings up Palmiotti and Gray's game, as well...so, so recommended.

Red Robin #9

Written by Christopher Yost
Art and cover by Marcus To and Ray McCarthy

Again, I've said this before. Yost has crafted a really nice series here, and, behind Batman and Robin, it's might just be my favorite of the "new Batman" series. Tim Drake is being pushed in new directions, as a character, and the results are most interesting.

That's it! Yay for my wallet!

Hopefully, I'll have something for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment