Friday, February 26, 2010

Where the hell did a week go?

Yes, yes, I had another one of my "time just got away from me" weeks, and I have let the blog suffer. Some people have said, "why not just write once a week?"

well, you see...I have an addictive personality. I tend to develop habits, and then pursue them until I can't anymore. In some cases, like with exercise, it's probably not all that bad.

Although...man, for as much as I work out, WHY DO I STILL HAVE THIS GUT!?!?! I mean, seriously, I work out more than most everyone I know. I will kill it. I don't know how, but I will.

So, I'm trying to develop the writing habit. To facilitate a better skill with word, and also to improve my typing, etc. I have a couple of writing projects in the hopper right now, and I need to focus. Having the blog as a kick-start for the simple act of putting them on paper helps.

In fact, one of said writing projects is SUPPOSED to be done tomorrow. It's short, and I have some ideas down already, but I also just realized I have two auditions tomorrow. So, my concept of kicking it out tomorrow morning is pretty well squashed. I feel a real pressure here, because I've promised a friend, a collaborator, that it would be done. Y'all know how I am with responsibility and commitments.

Thank you, Stan Lee for pounding that into my head with your damn Spider-Man.

My auditions tomorrow? Interesting. Companies I haven't worked with, at all. So, I'm a nobody again. (Which is probably damn good for me) Stuff that's not in my "contemporary realism" comfort zone. We'll see how it pans out.

I still have moments when I really think I've forgotten how to act.

I know, laugh.

Seriously, I've been in these readings and such, and there's moments when I don't believe a damn thing coming out of my mouth. If I don't believe it, I can't see how anybody else could. I feel rusty and lost a lot.

In other news, next week we start the process of trying to figure out Stage Left's next season. I've submitted a show which I dearly believe could be good for the company. I saw it performed in London in 2007, and it was like a gut punch. Full of power, and offering the audience no chance to turn away from the subject matter. For a company that seeks to "raise debate on political and social issues," I feel like this show gives us a way to do it, without falling into the pitfalls of "message theatre." That's my opinion, and why I brought the show to the table. I'm intensely curious as to how the rest of the ensemble will react to it.

We shall see.

Here Where It's Safe has opened, and I encourage all of you to check it out. Scott Bishop and the cast have done a really great job of bringing life to MEH Lewis' play. Our Stage Left ensemble members are all doing fantastic work, and our guest artists are equally wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment