Wednesday, December 8, 2010

New Comic Day 12.8.2010

Another relatively light week.

It's kind of amazing how quickly you can get behind on storing your books. In general, I tend to make a pile, and let it grow until I'm "ready" to pull out the short boxes, and put the stuff away. Well, apparently, when I put away my pile last week, I'd let things go on for about five months. I couldn't believe it, almost a half a year of books.

Of course, it also pointed out how badly off the schedule some books are. I had five issues of things like Green Lantern and Ultimate Spider-Man, only three issues of The Flash, and, the worst offender, one measly issue of The Brave and the Bold. It's just kind of amazing how far these things can go.

I'd LOVE for one of the big two to just come out and say, "a year with no late issues, no matter what!" That would mean more to me than a big crossover. Keep fill-in artists in place to take up the slack, have fill-in issues ready to go if the scripting gets behind. I mean, put the pressure on the creators to understand what a deadline is. DC looked like they were heading that way a couple of years ago, but they didn't have the balls to pull it off.

Never happen, though. The power wielded by the "hot" creators is too much, sadly.

Anyway, here we go.

Booster Gold #39 $2.99
Written by KEITH GIFFEN & J.M. DEMATTEIS
Art and cover by CHRIS BATISTA
& RICH PERROTTA

Forced to face the reality that his best friend Ted Kord is never coming back from the dead, Booster Gold withdraws from reality by running home to his original time and place. Unfortunately, once home, he's arrested for the theft of the Time Sphere that allowed him to become Booster Gold in the first place!

I have to say, reading this solicit makes me happy.

I love Ted Kord as much as the next guy, and the Blue & Gold team is something I loved dearly. Thing is, DC's been pretty solid that Ted is DEAD, with a legacy replacement and the whole shebang. I also think this book has done great, even terrific, work with Booster's grief over loosing Blue Beetle. All that said, I think it's time to move on. I don't want this series to be about Booster visiting Ted Kord in different eras, over and over again.

The concept behind this series, with Booster Gold being the guardian of the DC Universe time stream, give you so many places to play. So many story options, so many possible adventures, and it kinda feels like they keep going back to the Ted Kord thing over and over again. It's certainly a storyline I'd like to see revisited in the future, but...I think it's time to let it lie for a while.

The Flash #7 $2.99
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art by SCOTT KOLINS
Cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL
1:10 "DC 75th Anniversary" Variant cover
by DARWYN COOKE

The Rogue Profile issues return as BRIGHTEST DAY zips on with a spotlight turned toward the resurrected Captain Boomerang! He knows why he's back and what he needs to do. But does he still have what it takes to be a Rogue?

Manapul gets six stuttering, stop-and-start, issues out, and is rewarded with a month free. I can point specifically at him because Geoff Johns has proven to be someone that can get a series out monthly. Green Lantern is never late, so...we're looking at you, Francis.

Sad part is, I really do wish Kolins was just the artist on this book, or Mark Bagley. When Bagley was wrapping up on Trinity, they were talking about where he could go next, and I SWORE it was going to be The Flash. His clean, lean style is perfect for a runner's physique, plus the sort of dynamic, agile stuff he did with Spider-Man would lend itself to this title, as well.

Not to mention...IT WOULD'VE BEEN ON TIME!! Which, as I've discussed before, might've made this return of Barry Allen fly. It's been so hampered with delays and missed issues. As it is we get Bagley's top-notch art on a sub-par Justice League of America title (yeah, the last couple of issues have shown a pulse, here's hoping!), and the well-written Flash book feels...slow. Which is so wrong, on so many levels.

Red Robin #18 $2.99
Written by FABIAN NICIEZA
Art and cover by MARCUS TO
& RAY MCCARTHY

To infiltrate the computer systems of a Russian industrialist tied to the mysterious Unternet, Red Robin must stop a vengeance-driven vigilante named Promise from killing the oligarch while making sure his former ally Red Star doesn't stop him!
If you'd have told me a year, or even six months ago, that Red Robin would be my favorite, and the most consistently good Batman-related book on the shelves, I'd have told you that you were high. It didn't really snap out of the gate, but the arrival of Fabian Nicieza really gave the title shape, and a dramatic thrust.

Yeah, I'd have to say that, month in, month out, I enjoy reading it more than Batman and Robin, and that has been a great book, too. I just think this title, out of everything going on, swirling around the Bat-titles, feels like a classic Batman-related book. In all the best ways. Tim Drake has grown into a really solid lead, although that really shouldn't be a surprise, as he carried the Robin title for years. He just needed good writers to make it fly. He has one now, and it's become a steady, solid read. 

**MAYBE PILE**

Detective Comics Annual #12 $4.99
Written by DAVID HINE
Art by AGUSTIN PADILLA
Cover by STANLEY "ARTGERM" LAU

What starts as a Batman, Inc. recruitment trip soon turns into an international incident as The Dark Knight encounters a string of bizarre murders in Paris, France. Featuring both Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson as Batman, this extra-sized spectacular guest-stars The Question and spotlights the debut of a new Bat-ally!

In part 1, Bruce, Dick and Renee Montoya are presented with a series of cryptic clues, which lead them to the underground catacombs of Paris — and the most unexpected of assassins! Continued in this month's BATMAN ANNUAL #28!

Ah, Annuals.  I remember when annuals were places to let new talents play around with established characters, without having to tie in, directly, to the ongoing story of the main title. As I look at all the Batman, Inc. references here, I see that this isn't going to be the case. OOH! Continued in the Batman Annual, as well!!

I know that's pretty snarky. I know it is. Still, I'm going to flip through the issue, and make a call based on art and the bits I read. Five dollars is just too damn much to pay for something that isn't much good, and ties in intimately with a storyline I'm not overly excited about.

Although...Featuring The Question always helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment