Monday, September 26, 2011

DC Comics' New 52 - Week 4

I did not stray out of my regular pull list this past week, because even with that I had over $20 in books, so the only New 52 book I picked up was...

Batman #1 - $2.99
Written by SCOTT SNYDER
Art by GREG CAPULLO and JONATHAN GLAPION
Cover by GREG CAPULLO
Variant cover by ETHAN VAN SCIVER

Be here for the start of a new era for The Dark Knight from writer Scott Snyder (AMERICAN VAMPIRE, BATMAN: GATES OF GOTHAM) and artist Greg Capullo (Spawn)! A series of brutal killings hints at an ancient conspiracy, and Batman learns that Gotham City is deadlier than he knew.

It's real clear to me that Scott Snyder is the best Batman writer working on a monthly right now. His Detective Comics run, prior to the reboot was fantastic, and, for my money, this is the guy who should be guiding the Batman titles, rather than Grant Morrison. I'm honestly hoping that, with Morrison on Action Comics, and helping re-define Superman, we'll see Batman, Inc., and that whole concept slide into obscurity.  Of course, with that being the basis of a number of the New 52 titles, I'm not going to hold my breath. I, unlike Morrison, don't equate Batman with James Bond, the "hairy-chested love-god."

What's lovely is that I don't think any of the writers on the core Bruce Wayne-centric Batman titles see him that way, either. Snyder, Tony Daniel, and David Finch (Oh, God...**SHUDDER**) all seem to really gravitate toward the urban vigilante that's been the bread and butter of the character since Denny O'Neil and Neil Adams put things right in the 70's. Morrison's unending obsession with the most ultra-bizarre (and, admittedly, ultra-creative) antics of the Silver Age feels right with Superman, but falls down when I see them applied to the Dark Knight.

All that said, Batman, Inc. is in line to be revived within months...

Anyway, Snyder accepts the status quo and shows Bruce Wayne putting forth a rather Batman, Inc.-style plan, but it's also centered on reviving Gotham City. I find this fine, because it reinforces Bruce's iron-clad connection to, and obsession with, his city. Plus, Snyder can write mystery/crime/noir style with flash and panache. It's great stuff, not quite as dark as his final Detective Comics arc, but...I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment