Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Geek Girl Quandry

I would guess about four times a day, I see a post directing me to a video such as this.

Which is terrific. And I agree, kids, those ladies have nothing to prove.

But, here's the deal....That doesn't prove anything, one way or another, about the concept of the "Fake Geek Girl." Mainly because when I, and the people I know, refer to "Fake Geek Girls." it's not those ladies.

Geek Girls exist, be loud and be proud.

But Fake Geek Girls exist, too. So do Fake Geek Guys, without a doubt. You see them at every convention. We all have.

The girls are usually in a "costume" that suggests the absolute LEAST amount of effort and detail possible, while exposing the maximum amount of skin. I have seen them, their time is spent exclusively wandering the floor posing for pictures. No panels or autographs for these folks. Sometimes, you'll find out they have a table, signing nude photos and "adult" videos. Their "geekness" is wholly tied to attention or selling something.

The guys? Usually fit the "bro" model. They wander around looking for girls in revealing costumes, and mock other convention-goers. They are loud and obnoxious, drawing attention to themselves, because they are pretty well convinced they're the coolest guys in the room. No panels or autographs for these guys, unless they can enjoy themselves mocking it. They feign "geekness" in order to feel superior.

I am NOT saying this is the norm, or the majority, in either case, but THESE PEOPLE DO EXIST.

I like to refer to them as "assholes," but "Fake Geeks" works, too.

What bothers me is that, when I point out this observation, I'm inevitably accused of being a Male Chauvinist Pig. The anger is not toward those who are clearly perpetuating a stereotype, no, it's for pointing out, quite simply, that giving you, as a "Geek Girl," respect, is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT thing from pointing out that someone is an attention whore.

 I'm certain many of the Geek Girls out there know EXACTLY what I am talking about. There's a big difference between a woman spending hour upon hour, and hundreds of dollars, building a quality, sexy, detailed and accurate Power Girl costume, and one buying a set of Wonder Woman Underoos, a size too small, and calling that a costume (which I have LITERALLY seen on the floor at SDCC). One is cool as hell, the other makes me shake my head.

Are there male members of our Fandom community who don't get that? Oh, you betcha. Who like to lash out and miss the traditional idea of Geekery as a "He-Man Woman Hater's Club?" Of course. I have no patience for that. It should not be condoned or endured.

However, on the other side, I, as a fanboy, also have a problem with the assumption, which is just as pervasive, if not more so, that I can easily be manipulated, or mocked, because I can't get laid.

Neither attitude is useful, correct, or enlightened. They also both exist. I won't pretend they don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment