Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wednesday, and you know what that means...

Comic Books!

As always, my "light" week of only two titles last week means...a heavy week follows. To follow-up on last Wednesday, I did not pick up any additional books. My rationalization was that Batman: The Widening Gyre will, no doubt, be released in trade paperback, and I THINK I can wait for that. Plus, I thought I should hold to a "light" week when I had the chance.

So, here we go...

Batman and Robin #5

Written by Grant Morrison
Art and variant cover by Philip Tan and Jonathan Glapion
Cover by Frank Quitely

This series continues to impress, if for nothing else, in the strong editorial reins that has kept it on time with big-name, notoriously slow artists working on it. Morrision must be way ahead on scripts , so that guys like Tan and Quitely (who did the first arc) can work months ahead.

Jonah Hex #48

Written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray
Art and cover by Cristiano Cucina

"The Six-Gun War" part 5 of 6. Is it wrong of me to be chomping at the bit for this multi-part epic to run it's course so that Palmiotti and Gray can get back to the "done in one" stories they craft expertly for the artists that come in for each issue? Still the most consistantly enjoyable title on the market.

Justice League: Cry for Justice #4 (of 6)

Written by James Robinson
Art and cover by Mauro Cascioli

Is it over yet? I mean, seriously...I hope to God when Robinson gets a super-dynamic artist like Mark Bagley, as he will when he takes over the regular Justice League of America title, next month, I think, that he brings something more to the table than he has with this mini. Tons of potential here, an odd congolmeration of heroes, and a couple of "Big Seven" stand bys in Green Lantern and Green Arrow to drive the bus. This ought to work better.

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #3

COVER BY: DAVID LAFUENTE
WRITER: Brian Michael Bendis
PENCILS: DAVID LAFUENTE
INKS: David Lafuente Garcia
COLORED BY: Justin Ponsor
LETTERED BY: VC - Cory Petit

I thought I'd stick with the credits as Marvel lists them. Who am I to not credit the letterer?

A lot of people hate Brian Michael Bendis, with venom. I say he has a voice that is nicely different from other writers, and as long as he's doing this title and Powers, which I buy religiously in trade paperback, he's on the side of the angels. I'm soo happy the Ultimatum crap did not throw him completely off track. It seems he said, "ok, you screwed up everything, but I can put my little corner of the Marvel Ultimate Universe back in shape so quickly your head will spin."

And, he did.

Bless you, BMB.

Buckaroo Banzai: Hardest of the Hard #1

Written by Earl Mac Rauch
Art by Shawn Van Briesen

OK, so this is a bit of a pisser for me. I LOVE Buckaroo Banzai. Love the movie, love the novel, and love most of the comics. Moonstone has picked up the licence, and is producing books. Well, it seems that THREE Buckaroo Banzai books have been released, and I did not tget them. I am hurt and pained over this. Hurt and pained, I tell you!!

I have no idea what this book is about, at all. Still buying it.

***MAYBE LIST***

Batman Annual #27

Written by Fabian Nicieza
Art by J. Calafiore and Mark McKenna
Cover by J. Calafiore

Oh, hey, look...Azrael is back! This, along with Detective Comics Annual #11, will lead into the new Azrael series, and is supposedly "important" to the "Batman Reborn" arc.

I never overly cared for Azrael. So, an unlikely purchase, honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment