Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday Fixations...

There's been some concern within the peer group about my headspace lately. I guess I'm coming off grumpy and unhappy all the time. Strange to me. I am a curmudgeon, after all.

There are a lot of frustrations right now, I admit.

My music seems to have come down to working and re-working the same tune until my hands actually rebel. I'm serious, there just comes a moment when my hands seem to simply stop taking directions from the brain. I know what I want to play, I know where I need to fret and when to strum, but my hands seem to just look at me with a dead glare. "Do you know how many times we've played this stupid riff?" They seem to say.

Theatre, I have high hopes, will turn around when I start rehearsals for Sun, Stand Thou Still on the 6th. It's clear to me that not having anything outside of Stage Left to worry about, in this area, is not good. I start to fixate and worry too much about, well, pretty much everything within the company. It turns me edgy and impatient.

I'm not going to apologize for it, because I mean what I say, and what I believe is what I believe. That being said, I know I shouldn't take it all so personally. That doesn't do anybody any good.

Money, ahh...money. No, there's no danger of any sort of hardship. CByrd and I are good, but I am intensely aware of the coming expenses of my San Diego Comic-Con trip. We're staying over an extra night this year, because I have had enough of flying into Midway at midnight, thinking I'm going to get up, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for work the next day. So, we're staying over Sunday night and flying back on Monday.

Of course, we ended up with a nicer, and little more expensive hotel, this time as well. Which is exciting, as far as I'm concerned. It's less than a block from the convention center, and that's gonna make everything a lot easier, as far as I'm concerned. So, I'm really happy about all that. Heck, I'm ready to go tomorrow.

However, I am a bit behind on my savings for the trip. I usually have a lot more in the kitty for this trip, by this point. I'm not freaking out, or anything, but it's something I have to focus on. My goal is always "have enough money saved so I don't have to think about money the whole time." Plus, I've made it a goal on every trip to acquire a bit of original artwork. In 2008, I got this piece by Tim Sale, from the Batman: Dark Victory mini-series;



The original inked artwork is on the left, and the page, as published, is on the right.

It's a nice page, features Two-Face, my favorite Batman villain, but man I'd like to have a nice piece that actually features Batman, or The Flash, or Spider-Man. A Mark Bagley original would be fantastic:



I just love his work, and I have a quick headshot sketch he did of Spider-Man for me, as well as a nice inked sketch. They're both framed on my wall, but I'd LOVE an actual page of his sequential work. Or Norm Breyfogle's, who's another of my favorites:



But, as you may expect, original artwork isn't the cheapest thing to collect. So, yeah...I like to have enough saved so I can drop a couple hundred on a good page without worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment