Wednesday, August 18, 2010

New Comic Day 8.18.2010

Ah, come an partake of a nice, light, all-DC week for the final NCD before people definitely have to stop giving me crap when I say I'm "pushing 40."

Batman: Streets of Gotham #15

Written by PAUL DINI
Co-feature written by IVAN BRANDON
Art by DUSTIN NGUYEN and DEREK FRIDOLFS
]Co-feature art by RAMON BACHS and JOHN LUCAS
Cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN

Tommy Elliot's life-and-death experience in the present sheds light on some interesting secrets about Thomas and Martha Wayne in the past. What is the mysterious connection? Guest-starring Catwoman!

And in the new Two-Face co-feature, Harvey Dent faces off against the Falcone family. Will any of them survive the encounter?

I have to fess up. The last issue of this title is sitting in that pile of books I need to get to. So, I really have no idea what's going on with it. However, a back-up feature starring my favorite of Batman's rogues gallery is more than enough to make me happy to read it...

When I get to it.

Brightest Day #8

Written by GEOFF JOHNS and PETER J. TOMASI
Art by IVAN REIS, PATRICK GLEASON,
ARDIAN SYAF, SCOTT CLARK and JOE PRADO
Cover by DAVID FINCH
1:10 White Lantern Variant covers by RYAN SOOK,
FERNANDO PASARIN and JOEL GOMEZ

Don't miss the hottest event in comics as BRIGHTEST DAY continues!

There can be only one who wields the White Lantern...but is it truly Deadman? And what will happen when he attempts to charge the white ring? Meanwhile, Ronnie Raymond risks everything for Firestorm, Martian Manhunter uncovers more clues about the bizarre string of murders stretching across the country, Aquaman searches for the key to the ocean's survival and the Hawks come face-to-face with the evil that lurks within the strange land known only as Hawkworld!

Right now, I am depressed. I had believed this to be the final issue of Brightest Day, that we'd see the storyline wrap up, and we could move on. That was incorrect, as...right there on the DC Comics website...we see two more solicited covers. So at least 10 issues, for a story that could've wrapped up in 6, I think.

I've been reading the trade paperbacks I picked up as SDCC, and frankly when I read a Justice League International storyline that puts the world in imminent danger, introduces about 7 new characters effectively, makes me excited to turn the page, gets me laughing out loud, and does it all in TWO ISSUES, I really think maybe editorial at both DC and Marvel need to re-assess something.

The Spirit #5

Written by DAVID HINE
Co-Feature written by DAVID LAPHAM
Art by MORITAT
Co-feature art by MICHAEL WM. KALUTA
Cover by LADRĂ–NN

"Frostbite" continues with The Spirit on thin ice – literally! As Central City is engulfed in a whiteout blizzard, Ebony's on the brink of death and The Spirit must carry her across town to save her life – with every hood in town baying for their blood!


And in the co-feature, THE SPIRIT: BLACK and WHITE, Stray Bullets and YOUNG LIARS scribe David Lapham teams with MADAME XANADU master Michael Wm. Kaluta to tell the tale of the deadliest New Year's ever! It's "666 in 10… 9… 8…"

The last issue of this series is another one in that pile. You shouldn't read that as criticism of either of the titles I've mentioned are in that state. I'm in rehearsal, and time can be a premium. I'll say what I've said all along; I wish Darwyn Cooke was still working on this character, but, after a few missteps ending the last series, this new run has maintained some style and class that makes it well worth reading.

MAYBE

Justice Society of America #42

Written by JAMES ROBINSON
Art by MARK BAGLEY and NORM RAPMUND
Cover by MARK BAGLEY and JESUS MERINO
1:10 White Lantern Variant cover by RYAN SOOK,
FERNANDO PASARIN and JOEL GOMEZ

In part 4 of the JLA/JSA crossover, everything's going dark for the two greatest Super Hero teams in all of comics as the Starheart makes its final bid to obliterate the good in Green Lantern's life – and all of reality – forcing both teams to seek help in the Shade!

The only reason this in on the "maybe" list is because of the crossover with JLA. Which, in turn, is on life-support with me. So...prognosis is not great, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment