Wednesday, April 20, 2011

New Comic Day 4.20.2011

Welcome to a new week of comic buying. It's a nice, moderate week, but I think the time has come to let one series, I've been with for quite a while, go. It just ain't worth it.


Batman #709 $2.99
Written by DAVID HINE
Art and Cover by GUILLEM MARCH

This month's 3-part crossover with RED ROBIN and GOTHAM SIRENTS reaches its conclusion as Batman becomes Gotham City's last hope! Can he help the city avoid a cleansing scourge? Will the Angels of Death find one good man whose soul is pure? And what is the tragic secret in Dick Grayson's past that might doom Gotham? Guest-starring Red Robin, Catwoman and Ra's al Ghul!

Personally, I've always felt the Azrael/replacement Batman/avenging angel storyline was kinda uninteresting. The character served a specific purpose during the "Knightfall" storyline, being the hyper-dark, hyper-violent Batman that a lot of people were pushing for, and making a pretty solid case for NOT going that way with Bruce Wayne.

But since that story? Flatline, as far as I'm concerned. I'm honestly hoping that this mini-crossover will put the final nail in the Azrael coffin. I'd have no problem with that.

Green Lantern #65 (War of GLs) $2.99
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art by DOUG MAHNKE and KEITH CHAMPAGNE
Cover by IVAN REIS and OCLAIR ALBERT

The "War of the Green Lanterns" takes a shocking turn! With the entire Green Lantern Corps against them, the four Earthborn GLs make a choice that will rank among the most memorable in GL history. But not all of them agree on what has to be done and what lines are to be crossed. Plus, the countdown to the live-action film continues with another exclusive look at the upcoming GREEN LANTERN movie!

Here's the deal. I REFUSE to buy any title, that I normally wouldn't, in order for a crossover to make sense, period.  I will not be starting to pick up Green Lantern Corps just because half of this "War of the Green Lanterns" is in that book, I just won't. I didn't pick it up for Brightest Day or Blackest Night, either, and it just irks me that DC assumes I will. They even have an online checklist, so you know what you "have" to buy.

There used to be a unspoken trust, in all but very few situations, that you could read your title, and it would make sense if you just stuck with that one title. No longer, and, as much as I admire Geoff Johns as a writer, he's took a turn into a realm of annoyance with me. EVERYTHING the man writes these days appears to be tied to a crossover, and 10 other series. Top that off, he seems to not feel it's needed to recap, or make a single series read as a whole. I do not want, nor can I afford, to buy FOURTEEN miniseries to make sense of Flashpoint. I want to read The Flash.

Come on, DC.

Justice League of America #56 $2.99
Written by JAMES ROBINSON
Art and cover by BRETT BOOTH and NORM RAPMUND
1:10 Variant cover by DAVID MACK

"The Rise of Eclipso" continues as the JLA and the villainous lord of darkness have a showdown on the dark side of the moon!

Am I even going to buy this?

I've been talking about dropping this title for over a year. The artist I loved, Mark Bagley, is LONG gone. James Robinson's writing is less that inspiring on this title, and this Eclipso arc is already skewed because of the ramming off that "Doomsday-whatever" crossover into the last issue. (ANOTHER crossover....*sigh*)

I think it's time to cut. The. Cord.

I mean, you're not even trying with the solicit copy!!

The Spirit #13 $2.99
Written by DAVID HINE
Art by MORITAT
Cover by LADRĂ–NN

It was a love at first sight when the cartel's assassin set eyes on Ellen Dolan, his target's daughter – though the feeling isn't exactly mutual! But you know what they say about love: If at first you don't succeed, kidnap your intended and build a perfect mechanical simulacrum!

Ahhhh...continuity-free stories featuring Will Eisner's The Spirit.

Books like this, and Jonah Hex, soothe my soul. Yeah, they suffer in sales because the pavlovian-response fanboys out there can't look past, "oh, it's a Flashpoint crossover!!" and see the great work being done on these titles month-in, month-out.

David Hine "gets" The Spirit, the noir trappings wrapped in pure, fun energy, and Moritat's art is classic, cartoony and cool. In other words, it feels like a work connected to Eisner's spirit (pardon the unintended pun). They're creeping very close to the level of genius that Darwyn Cooke hit with this character, but from a much different, and more hewing to Eisner, angle.

It's a great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment