Monday, July 27, 2009

AVENGERS movie lineup news....

I think it’s going to be Iron Man and Thor, Captain America and Nick Fury. I think it’s safe to assume that there will be some members of the Hulk universe in the film as well. In terms of the additional I think Black Widow, sure. The SHIELD organization for sure. What’s exciting, for me, about The Avengers movie is seeing those four characters interact with each other. I think anywhere from the first issues of The Avengers to Civil War the dynamic between Steve Rogers and Tony Stark is just awesome, it’s fascinating. It brings out sides in others that won’t be brought out in the other franchises. Going forward with the mix is a whole other thing, I think it will be cool. So to pile on another 15 or 10, frankly more than four would be too many.

-
Marvel producer Kevin Feige

Well, this is the first news about this that actually makes me feel like somebody's thinking over at Marvel.

Of course the fanboys are up in arms. "Where's Hawkeye?!?!" "Where's Wasp!?!!?" "Where's Triathlon!??!?!"

What's sad to me, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better, is that fan's now seem to have the attitude that a comic "doesn't matter' unless it gets adapted to film. It's ridiculous. I love comics as comics. If something gets a movie deal, great...but the comics are still the good stuff.

Take Watchmen. If ANYONE expressed interest to me in that graphic novel, would I send them to the good, well-made, but in no way ground-breaking or transcendent movie? Or would I send them to the original comics? It's a no-brainer. It's actually a silly question. Compared to the comics, the movie is empty. In fact, much like the Harry Potter films, it really has no resonance unless you've been exposed to the book prior.

The Dark Knight is a fantastic Batman story...but there are a dozen comics that top it. Comic that allow Bruce Wayne to push outside the "heroic" ideal. Bruce can be an absolute dick in the comic books. There's Bruce's way, and the wrong way. The comics have been able to play with the idea that Bruce's way ain't always the right way. The Dark Knight touched on this, but couldn't really dig in.

A friend of mine put it thusly:

The comics are the real deal, the meat and potatoes. The movies are those properties shoved through a funhouse mirror of mass-marketing. There's nothing particularly wrong with that, and I've loved several adaptations. (First two Spider-Mans, First two X-Men, the Donner Superman, Iron Man, The Rocketeer, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, etc...)

But, see here's the deal...You're a COMIC BOOK fan? Then why the hell are you in Hall H looking at Avatar footage, or worse STANDING IN LINE for that footage, when Jerry Robinson, Sheldon Moldoff and any number of other pioneers of this medium are sitting off in a corner of the convention center, in a room you could walk right into? These men, and their stories, will not be around forever. You know my most treasured memory of my first SDCC in '06 was sitting in a room with Jerry, Shelly and several others listening to them talk about what a ass Bob Kane was.

Those encounters are to be treasured. Plus, I could walk right up to Shelly and say hello. He wasn't shuttled off to a private, VIP-only room to be hidden away from the public. He'd sign books. HE DIDN'T CHARGE YOU TO SIGN SOMETHING, and this is a man who can probably use the extra bucks. These men are the history of this medium we profess to love.

Look, I love movies, too. I would've liked to see the Avatar footage, too. I'd like to hear Cameron hold court. I saw the Watchmen presentation last year. These are cool things to see.

But I booked a hotel for next years convention today, and in 2010 I am going to re-think what I choose to give my percious time to when I'm in that convention building.

No comments:

Post a Comment