Wednesday, July 29, 2009

New Comic Wednesday 7/29/2009


DETECTIVE COMICS #855 $3.99
Writer: Greg Rucka
Artist: JH Williams III
Co-Feature Artist: Cully Hamner


The second issue with Batwoman as our star attraction. Also the second issue at the $3.99 price point, and The Question back-up feature. Like most of the post-Battle for the Cowl Batman titles, this is holding on pretty strong. Rucka has built a pretty solid story, and Williams' art is amazing.


JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #35 $2.99
Writer: Len Wein
Artists: Tom Derenick and Pow Rodrix


So, now it falls on Len Wein to try to make this title interesting. Really JLA has been a meandering mess for months and months, but I hold on. First it was because I knew former writer Dwayne McDuffie was struggling under editorial mandate, and forced to spin his wheels a lot. Then he was fired for speaking out about the situation. I like him a lot.

Now, I'm holding on because James Robinson and Mark Bagley are taking over this title in 2 months, and Bagly is my favorite artist working right now.


WEDNESDAY COMICS #4 (OF 12) $3.99
Writers: Various
Artists: Various

I love this series, I love the concept and the art still looks gorgeous on the oversized pages. That being said the $3.99 price point is a bear for a weekly title. I doubt I'll stick around after the first 12-issue cycle.



ULTIMATUM SPIDER-MAN REQUIEM #2 (OF 2) $3.99
Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Artists: Mark Bagley and Stuart Immonen

...And, with this issue I can finally jump off this sinking ship. Marvel had one series that I was fully dedicated to, Ultimate Spider-Man. I had EVERY, SINGLE ISSUE. I loved it. Then, they slapped this Ultimatum crossover into the picture, and frankly threw the finely crafted work Brian Michael Bendis was doing on this series into a wood chipper.

Yes, the series re-starts in a couple of months. Stupid foil cover and all. However, I already feel kicked in the nuts. So, bye-bye Ultimate Spidey....I surely loved following your story.

Finallly a holdover released last week:


GOTHAM CITY SIRENS #2 $2.99
Writer: Paul Dini
Artist: Guillem March

I'm not really sold on this series. It's obviously the weakest link in the post-Battle for the Cowl Batman line. This despite one of my favorite writers, Paul Dini. The man was writing the best Batman comics around, in Detective Comics, for the lat couple of years, in the face of Grant Morrison's high-concept misfires over in the Batman title. Dini held the line, telling compelling one-off, well, detective tales.

But this series seems a little off. Almost like Dini is indulging his own fetishes a bit too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment