Thursday, June 17, 2010

I need to get more sleep

I'm trying not to zone out completely today.

Had final dress for The Meaning of Lunch last night, and it went pretty darn well, I think. Found some new stuff, nice moments. It's a reading, which is kind of a double-edged sword. It takes a lot of pressure off when you have the script in hand, but it also limits you. You're not just juggling the props and the blocking and the emotions, but also this damn script, as well.

Still, yeah, I was pretty happy. Found some new moments of assertiveness, which is great, as the character is, generally, kind of weak.

But, yeah, ended up being a late night.

Usually I'm so happy to be in a city with a real public transportation system. Oh, I can hear you Chicagoites bitching about the CTA already. I getcha, I getcha, but let me say this; you have no worldly idea about how good we have it here. I lived in Omaha, I know from bad public transportation. (Or at least limited...)

That said, when you're leaving the theatre at 11:30 on a weeknight, and you know you have a 10-15 minute wait for the train, followed by a 15-20 minute train ride, there's a part of you that thinks, "I wish I had my car." It's just a weakness of spirit, and I know it. Would I get home any faster with a car? Likely not.

This is compounded with the 5:30 AM wake up (or at least the ATTEMPTED 5:30 wake up) to work out. I'm trying to stay really focused on getting my workouts done, because I've seen some (limited) results. My renewed focus on core work has helped. I can feel the muscles, anyway, through the bag of fat still hanging over them.

These days I'm lifting Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Just limited work, dumbells and lots of reps, then using the exercise bike every morning. I do an hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and a half hour on M-W-F. I also try to do 20 minutes at night, three days a week. So, generally about four and a half hours on the bike every week. Top that off with a series of core/ab things I do every weekday.

This with trying to be much more on top of what I eat, and when. That said, I am a HORRIBLE late-night eater. when I get home from a rehearsal or a show, I just want to eat something. Need to get better about that.

It's not like I'm overweight. Well, according to the charts, I probably am, but I'm pretty fit. I don't care to be "ripped," and I'm big enough. I just want a flat stomach, not a 6-pack, or anything, just flat. The fact is, I'll be 40 in a little over a year, and odds are, if I don't get it now, I never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment