Thursday, June 10, 2010

Well, at least I got that going for me.

I accomplished something today.

If I hadn't said so before, my short play, Protected, has been chosen to be a part of Strangeloop Theatre's "Loopshop" festival. I wrote it about 5 years ago, for one of the Brown Couch 10-Minute Play festivals. It wasn't chosen for that, and went in a drawer.

Well, through a series of events, Dustin Spence, a member of Strangeloop, read this script, and they asked me to direct it myself for their festival.

All well and good. I'm the only person directing their own piece, which I didn't ask to do. I have a sneaking suspicion that this was done because my script calls for (literally) a whole bag full of odd and specific props. "He wrote this crap, let him figure it out!"

LOL. Just kidding, really. I'm blissfully unaware of why they asked me to direct it. I'm happy to do so, don't get me wrong, but I, frankly, don't have time to figure the "why" of it all out.

Casting was a bit of a merry-go-round of craziness. I'd find the right person, then I'd be stuck on finding the other. It's a two-person show, FYI. I'd find the other, and my first would jump ship. This went on for a while. I was starting to get nervous. Finally, somebody mentioned a name to me, and I almost slapped myself, it was just an obviously good casting choice.

Thank God I got two people I trust and respect, and, I think, feel the same in return. So, good job there. Then scheduling, looking for aforementioned odd and specific props...

It's just a lot, when I had Sun, Stand thou Still going on, with Leapfest and The Meaning of Lunch hard on it's tail. The festival is July 13th and 14th, which isn't too far off, honestly, and I've got a family reunion trip between now and then. I'm just feeling the pressure right now.

I'm totally in "head down until I get off the plane in San Diego" mode. Comic-Con is, officially, five weeks and six days away. Between now and then I have 8 rehearsals, 2 tech rehearsals, 5 performances, 1 box office shift, 1 special cinema event, 1 concert, 24 day job work days, 3 ensemble meetings, 1 "Stage Left work day," 2 set strikes, 2 airline flights, 4 days in Arizona seeing my family, 4 other Leapfest shows to see, not to mention the release of Toy Story 3, fixing my laptop and getting the comic book Zach B. and I are working on printed.

But, y'know...I got my rehearsal schedule for Protected finalized today, and I found rehearsal spaces for every rehearsal. And tonight is my Rush "special cinema event."

So, I got that going for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment