Thursday, September 2, 2010

...And So We Come to Thursday

I started a blog post earlier, and then deleted it, realizing the inherent whiny nature of what I had written.

It was a self-pity post. Mooning over yet another opportunity lost, a show I dearly, dearly wanted, and did not get. A loss that, try as I might, I still cannot take personal responsibility for. A role I think I could've played extremely well.

I feel cheated.

I feel angry, and I am not ready to let it go just yet.

Yet, I also don't feel the need to vent my spleen all over you, my loyal readers. So, we shall proceed to one of my patented "all over the place" blogs.

The work on the "Hayoth album project" continues. I've kinda swung back into it. The idea of making music has come around, and got exciting again.


I reserve the right to eventually reject this as the actual album cover, or not.

Picking up a new footswitch controller for my amp has helped me discover some new tones, as well as giving me a lot more control over the effects built into the amp. With my previous footswitch, I could only set up 4 amp presets, and I was stuck with the settings. I couldn't switch off the reverb, or turn the phaser on and off, without twiddling knobs on the front of the amp itself. Allowing me, with a tap of the toe, to alter the tone pretty drastically. So, I'm pretty excited about that.

Does give me a bit more to pay off on the Guitar Center card, but...12 months same-as-cash makes it all good. I'm thinking after this is paid off, I'm going to take the jump to Pro Tools, and start recording directly onto my computer. I hear the learning curve is a bit steep, but I've increasingly found working with only 8 tracks a bit limiting.

I think the other thing that's got me jumping more with music is finding a new album that's reall inspiring. Warp Riders is really kicking my ass.


Just buy the damn thing, will ya?

Yeah, I know I just wrote about it, but...it's great. I've grown more and more attached to it as I listen. I've actually had to force myself NOT to listen to it, so I wouldn't burn out on it. I haven't had to do that since Them Crooked Vultures (and I'm sure you're all still annoyed with me about gabbing on about that record.) There's something about the way this record sounds that really makes me want to play, and create my own stuff.

I still wish I had a band, but...sometimes you just learn to live with things.

So, yeah...I expect more progress. I still haven't recorded any vocals. I'm probably afraid of it. I really like how the music is coming out, and I think I have 5 solid tracks (my goal is almost always to end up with 12). My fear is that I'll start singing, and ruin them.

Again...wish I had a band. Or just a real singer, I guess.

Track titles are not set in stone, of course, but we have, 'Zep," "Gamble," "Reason," "We've Got Forever For This to Be Over," and "Poseidon." I am really, really aiming for a early 2011 "release." If I don't pick up a new show after The Sound of a Yellow Flower, I figure it can actually happen pretty easily. I mean, I'm almost halfway there.


It's yellow, it's a flower, it's making a sound....

Ah, Yellow Flower. I'm feeling pretty strong about what I'm doing in this show, and I think it's going to be very good. I've been very impressed with the Strangeloop folks, in general. I mean, yeah, it is another "thug"-kinda role, but there's a lot more going on. Something I am very, very thankful for.

We had a run last night that was...well, not spectacular. I was pretty disappointed in myself. We've only got two more rehearsals before we go into tech, so you want to be getting really solid and strong, but, y'know, it's not uncommon for there to be some fatigue at this stage. Still, it pissed me off. I'm supposed to be better than that.

The one thing I want to say. This is going to be a fine show. It may not connect with every audience, but our playwright, Dustin Spence, and director, Letitia Guillaud, have shaped something that I think will be surprising and interesting. For myself, there's a lot of areas to explore and things to play that are different.

What I'm saying is, it's worth your time. See it. If I've led you astray, you can berate me about it after.

No comments:

Post a Comment