Tuesday, September 7, 2010

So Close, Yet....

Spend about 3-4 hours working on the new song yesterday. I had tried to do something ambitious with the drum track, and I think it was not worth it. I kinda worked and played and generally fought with it.

There's a riff section which is, right now, in a different time signature than the rest of it. I'd also muted everything but the high-hat, in an attempt to, I don't know, give it some space. To put more emphasis on the guitar for what was, ultimately, becoming the main recurring riff of the song.

Like I said, it was coming along, but going to just a high-hat caused problems. There wasn't enough for me to "grab onto" with what I was playing. So, I think that I need to go back to the drawing board, and come up with something different drum-wise for those sections.

Which is pretty annoying, because the rest of it was going really well, I felt. I had some nice things going down, and now I'll have to re-create it with the new drum line. Pain in the keister, for sure.

The "Hayoth Project" is kinda taking on a life of it's own, and may end up being more diverse than I ever expected. Both of my other CDs were conceived and recorded relatively quickly. Within about six months. This one has been dragging on for a while, and it's annoying, but it's also given me the opportunity to listen to a lot of stuff and have different inspirations on each track.

Of course, it probably all sounds just like me...which is kind of inescapable. Still, I've gone through a lot of music since my last CD, which was in 2006. I've gone through several hours of "Mark Pracht" music, trying to work that out, then I came upon this idea of creating a "band," and recording that music. Which is pretty false, since it's still just me playing everything. Well, me and "Dr. Rhythm." Still, the idea was to try to force myself outside of the wannabe-Springsteen box I had built for myself.

So, inspired by the "Fake Album Cover" game that was going around Facebook for a while, I decided to try to "become" one of those bands. I chose Hayoth, because it was my favorite of all the album covers I had made.



Typographic Workers Trade Union was a close, close, close second.



I still might switch it up, because that TWTU album cover is pretty badass. You can't beat the title, either.

The whole idea was more of a hard rock sound. Trying to create something inspired by Zeppelin, or Them Crooked Vultures, or y'know...The Sword. (Just a smattering of the bands that have influenced me as I've worked on this thing for the past eight months, or so.) I'm not, in any way, claiming to be as good as those people, but...they're folding into my mindset as I work.

So, anyway..."Track 5" has gone back to the shop for retooling. We're still at 8 to go.

I really have to get this done before I turn 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment