Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What Are Ya Gonna Do?

Things happening, things happening....THINGS HAPPENING.

Kind of a stressful few days, the whole weekend, actually. Lots of things to assess and decide upon. Decisions to be made.

We've got a few reviews that have gone up for Yellow Flower. Reaction, so far, is all over the place. The Chicago Reader loved us, Chicago Critic was generally positive, and Time Out hated us like we'd strangled a baby. Generally speaking, I'm not a whore for reviews. Take it or leave it, you job as a critic is tho give your honest opinion, so hit me with your best shot.

It's still interesting how wildly the opinions differ. I'm always struck by that, it's like a microcosm of what Gary Coleman (R.I.P.) tried to tell us, Different Strokes do move the world. I guess it's best to look at it as indicative of the idea that our critical base is an honest one. Of course, there's also those shows that are destined for a good review no matter what.

Oh, don't look at me that way, you know it's true.

Doesn't matter if it tackles a hot-button political/social issue, or it's one of the "anointed" theatre companies, there are productions that will get a pass on anything. In most cases, I don't mind. Usually it's a company that's earned it's place, or I give 'em props for finding the exact right play to do at that moment.

Anyway...My head is still swirling around a series of events that is still unfolding in my world of theatre. I'm still not quite sure how to take what's happening, or if it's something that should be welcomed, or not.

It scares me.

When I get scared of something, I always think of Metallica: Some Kind of Monster, the documentary about the chaotic events around the recording of their album St. Anger, and the rehab of frontman James Hetfield. The line, from band therapist Phil Towle, "when you're up against a fear, that's the time to move forward," always sticks out to me.

While I'm on the subject, that movie is amazing. Seriously, I think every arts organization in the world out to sit together, as a group, and watch it. It's illuminating on so many levels about how to work within a group driven by creativity and ego.

Yes, that describes every arts organization in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment