Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Waiting for Sam Fisher...

I am having a hard time getting through this day, mainly because Splinter Cell: Conviction will be waiting for me at home.



Apparently, there was a release-day glitch that came up. A problem with the title update that downloads when you start up the game. Of course, it also sounds like it's already fixed. Score one for us old farts that have to work, and don't sit around all day playing video games.

I think after I finish the single-player version of this baby, I'm gonna have a little Sam Fisher-palooza. Start with the first game, and make my way through all five. It would be interesting, and a little journey through 2 generations of game systems. It's kinda funny, but I've been waiting for this game so long that, when I purchased the last game in the series, Double Agent, it was for my original XBox. There was an XBox360 version, but I hadn't bought the system yet.

Anyway, I still have all the games. As I said before, Splinter Cell was pretty much my first "video game obsession." They all work on the 360, so...It might be interesting to follow Sam Fisher through his whole story in rapid succession.

I surprised myself last night. After listening to the New Slash album, and reading his autobiography, I had been thinking about the Slash's Snakepit album from the 90's. I was thinking, "it was an interesting album, maybe I ought to download it." Then I'm flipping through the CD rack...and there it is.

Man, I need to keep better track of my CDs.

There was a second Snakepit album, Ain't Life Grand, in 2000, which I'm reading was even better. Looks like it's harder to come by, anyway...

I really can't explain this Slash interest right now, other than really jumping in with the new record and the book. I've not finished reading it, yet, but I am struck by a feeling of honesty. He's pretty upfront about what a fuck-up he could be, and the dysfunction of G'NR that can be laid on his doorstep. He just strikes me a a decent guy.

Now, of course, I know that can be a spin. Absolutely it could be. However, there's a certain self-effacing and willingness to admit failings, accept mistakes and not lay all the blame on others. When I read this interview with Axl (it's pretty old) the other day, I couldn't help but see the huge differences between the two men talking about what, exactly happened.

In Axl's world, it seems everything is someone else's fault. Axl is this poor victim, always at the mercy of others, despite his attempts to set things right. It's just so clear that the man has checked out of reality. I'm not trying to take anything away from him as a musician with that statement, as I think Chinese Democracy is a pretty impressive album. It's certainly a extremely sharp portrait of Axl and his world. My view of the album is pretty similar to Chuck Klosterman's.

Of course, plenty of people have made compelling musical statements and been rotten human beings. In fact, I don't even think of Axl as a rotten human being, but as an EXTREMELY screwed up guy. I can't even imagine how exhausting it must be to maintain that kind of paranoia constantly, and I don't even mean that as a joke. True or not, Axl believes himself to be under assault from all sides at all times.

I can't even comprehend what that must feel like.

No comments:

Post a Comment